feelings language

13/06/09

Once upon a time...
saturday morning I woke up and there was the landlord of my house in the kitchen. Nice person, we'd breakfast together and she started speaking about her divorce, the violence by the husband, who was also the owner of the place where she worked. The problems for children, the house and all the implications you can imagine.
I was listening - interested - and I like the fact that she decided to be open with me. It was a great sign of trust. However, I was in trouble because my french was so limited. I was worry to say something rude. Not always I understood the 'colours' of her expression, the small differences in some expressions or in some steps. In that situation I understand that feelings are the most specific words of each language, while the cultural bias between Italians and Frenchs doesn't exist.

If you've to do something similar in English is harder. The language of Albion is much more "rude" or "direct" than Latins. We prefer to say "she isn't thin", while they say "she's fat". This small barriers have to be learn't, I try to learn that "I like" in English seems to be something powerful, like in spanish, while in Italian it isn't. Also because English doesn't have so many expressions, or almost in some situation you don't find them. On the other hand, when you try to be direct in English, sometimes you risk to become rude and it's hard to find the right balancement. In Italian I'm used to have sentences 6-8 lines; in English more than 3 it's unreadable, or almost they say that.

I like English because it's direct, easy, try to avoid too much complexification, while -also amongst Italians- I like everything is complex. I hope to didn't too many mistakes in English, almost I try to learn. I remember during a funeral I wasn't unable to find the right words, I was just there., aware to say something inappropriate.

I try to learn, to improve... I just need practice...

0 commenti:

For wayfarers | Per i viandanti

Duke's guests | Ospiti regolari

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP