perceptions

24/06/09

I've received the link for a blog of one of the nicest person I've ever met. Portuguese is understandable, more or less. It's funny to read about myself, the perception others have about me.
I was more surprised when an American friend of mine has came here, in this Duky, reading me. She repeated that was "awkward", which is a word I've never really understood in terms of meaning. I mean... I've used the dictionary, but it still strange what does it mean. Moreover, you become used to "try to" understand.
With Americans, if I'm lucky, I can understand between 50%-80% of what they say, but you learn to understand meanings, feelings, intentions. With others non-native it's okay if they're euro-latinos and indians, more complex with Chinese and Japanese.
I think about inter-language marriages and probably are a good way because you've to make an effort to express yourself and you pay attention to what she's saying. It could be weird (other word I've understood very late!) the fact that she doesn't understand the language of my thoughts, but love doesn't pay attention. Maybe.
Anyway, it's more interesting to understand the different perceptions across languages. I'm surprised by some people who changes totally their accent from one language to another (the portuguese girl changes incredibly!), while some others don't and keep their accent in any language. My Canadian professor of English thaught me that "accents don't matter, I just want to understand you". Right!
Moreover, perceptions change in different context. Here in London, it's sometimes hard to think about the "previous" and the "future" life of us. Sometimes you understand that "she's so sweet" or "he's just appereance" etc.
Nobody could be so stupid to think that perceptions doesn't matter, let's just surprise ourselves.

0 commenti:

For wayfarers | Per i viandanti

Duke's guests | Ospiti regolari

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP