Edinburgh

03/11/09

In these days, I'm a bit sad, melanchoholic, and, since yesterday, also a bit sick. To wake me up, I took the maps of Edinburgh and putted them on the wall where I sleep, close to my pillow.
For me, Edinburgh is a legendary city. This is the "somewhere else", the city of warriors' pride and magic fantasy, the city of some of the best intellectuals (Adam Smith, Patrick Geddes) and the city of fringe festival. City of ideas and arts, city of legends and heroes. The city of Dr. Jekyll, Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes. The city of the banks where the biggest one is nowadays probably the worst one in Europe (the RBS). Edinburgh is the somewhere else, it's gothic when I come from a romanic culture. The centre is a castle, not a cathedral. University is hidden and the train station at the bottom of a valley. There is the biggest cannon of the world (I'm not sure it's the biggest).

Edinburgh is the symbol of the somewhere else. I love it, I love the Lothian capital and the idea of Scotland. Won by British, they've win so many wars. Such a small country in terms of population, such a big country in terms of surface. Edinburgh.

0 commenti:

For wayfarers | Per i viandanti

Duke's guests | Ospiti regolari

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP